Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Sad Day...

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member Carl Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2005
    Location
    Limestone Oklahoma
    Posts
    200
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Red face

    I am now tasked with cleaning out the garage, closets, etc. in preperation of a marrage. See my "Altec Home Theater" post for more info.

    Last night, I gutted my Altec Model 9's that I got as a High School graduation gift and tossed the water dammaged cabinets in the garbage. I hated that. So sad.

    These were my second set of Altec's. My first was a pair of second hand 891A's.

    Just feels so sad to send them off. Only a couple of the drivers are still repairable. But I will always remember the first day I brought them home. They were great! My friends still talk about them today. They made an impression!

    Made in OKC!

  2. #2
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi, CB,

    I've had a few sob sessions over deteriorated stored items myself over the years, the ones with memories are the worst. Reminds me of my first 12-string, a '68 Fender Shenendoah I spent most of one summer's hay-hauling money on. Played at a party one time that got crazy afterwards, I ended up leaving it on the outdoor stage and running off with a cute gal for the rest of the weekend. When I went back, it had rained a lot, and, well, it was pretty much ruined. It would be worth a bunch today, too. The follies of youth.....

    There seems to be some demand for replacement components for Altec home models of that era. If you sell the components, it might help to know the tweeter is the same as used in the Stonehenge II, and midrange is the same as in the model Seven. Even questionable components will sell, it's amazing what people will buy sometimes.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    OG, if it ain't broke......

    Actually, you may be married in the eyes of the law anyway, after that much time. Happened to a buddy of mine (RIP, Larry).

  4. #4
    Inactive Member HarryBriscoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    8
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    as far as the Model 9s go, Bill at GPA can recone the midrange drivers. I have a pair that need the midrange drivers reconed and I have already talked to him. He told me the cost is $40 per speaker and it has about a 3 day turn around depending how busy he is at the time.

    Harry

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Sad Day...


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    The great country comedian Archie Campbell once said"A man's wedding is like a funeral, only you get to smell your own flowers."

    All kidding aside, wish you and your partner the best.

    I've been with the same woman 11 years. We haven't gotten married but we keep talking about it.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member Jim Butler's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    121
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    HI Carl Bill,
    Any chance the woofers on your old model 9's are the earlier ones with the stamped steel baskets? If so, I'ld be interested in buying them for reconing and putting into a pair of Stonehenge 11 cabs. If not, that fine too..have a great wedding.

    Cheers,
    Jim Butler

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member Carl Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2005
    Location
    Limestone Oklahoma
    Posts
    200
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Mine are actually the "Series II" with cast baskets. But I already have them reserved to go into a pair of bootleg Model 14's.

    Thanks for the well wishes on the wedding. The agreement is, that if she gets tired of me in the house, she can send me out to the "barn" and I can play with the Altec stuff. Sounds fine to me!! forums

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.